Sunday, August 26, 2007

Einstein

Einstein:
The facts: home-schooled, lived from March 14, 1879 - April 18, 1955, German, Jewish, had cool crazy hair, won many awards, etc.

Unfortunately, (although even more brilliant) I'm not talking about that Einstein. In fact, I'm talking about a great (see the similarities) knit sweater pattern. Perfect in that it's very neatly constructed, easy to follow instructions, totally do-able 1st sweater pattern for beginners & you will feel super smart once you've completed it.

It's from The Knitting Experience Book 1: The Knit Stitch by Sally Melville


Sweater Specs:
  • less than 5 x 150g balls (or 11 x 50g balls of Lopi or another bulky weight)
  • hand-spun 100% wool dyed in a khaki green.
  • took a reasonable amount of time
  • was a nice relaxing knit (perfect for obligatory T.V. watching with hubby in evenings or at appts.)
  • straight forward, no nonsense pattern in garter stitch with the only decreases being in the sleeves
  • only 2 seams (one at the top of each arm) to sew up to finish. (You pick up stitches to knit the various parts throughout)
  • 5 buttons (I was given some wood toggle ones from Faye's stash)
I loved making this sweater. The only modifications that I made were that I didn't switch to the smaller needles when I had 11 rows to finish in each sleeve. I cont'd with the same size needles & only decreased down to 18 rather than 15 stitches & made it to the length I wanted. I actually had done it according to the pattern first, but didn't like the look, frogged it back & finished the way I discussed above. I like to roll the sleeves a bit & if you followed the pattern it would have turned out too tight & bunched for this look.
The total cost of this project was $15- including tax. I had gotten the yarn from a vendor at the last spin-in I attended in Port Hope at an incredible $15- for 5lbs of hand-spun (she was clearing out last years stock). The wooden toggles were a gift from my friend Faye's stash (yes, the same Faye who got me started with quails, lol.)

Anyway, got to go finish a flamingo, peace out, Boop

No comments: